Friday, October 23, 2009

A little look at humor.

Often throughout my life I have tried to deflect serious events, conversations, and decisions through humor. I also hate silence and become very awkward, therefore paralyzing my view of the present. When this happens another joke or pointless story is told and I am surrounded by laughter or a much longer silence. For some reason I find that sound of any is better than the sound of stillness. To me, that quiet silence is a reflection of emptiness or a negativity of some sort. Some silence of course is calming and much needed when I am reading, but more so it triggers a memory of a long night in the library when I was cramming for a test... For whatever reason instead of igniting conversation by a question or statement about a current event, I try and search for anything funny to say. The cliche "laughter is the best medicine" proves pertinent, essentially being my dosage for the illness or sickness that is the silence. Besides silences, the other "s" word triggers the need for humor- serious. Serious is such a broad word that I personally apply to a plethora of events and/or conversations and thoughts. Its like I scare myself and then cancel it out by making joke about what initially I was turning serious. Whatever the case humor is a scapegoat ad a safe haven for all the problems I seem to not be able to fix at that particular time. Surely, humor derives from the distracted minds and imaginations that can put a twist on even the most simplest of ideas. Even if you can only make yourself laugh, its better than holding on to a dull subject for too long into boredom.

No comments:

Post a Comment